Crime incidents in Region 12 or Soccsksargen have declined this month amid the threat of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19), the Philippine National Police (PNP) said Monday, March 23.
From March 1 to 22, crime incidents, especially heinous crimes, fell by 64.29 percent compared to the same period last year, said Police Brig. Gen. Alfred S. Corpus, chief of Police Regional Office (PRO) 12.
He noted that Region 12 has become more peaceful than ever with lesser crime incidents.
But the police official said that the threat of the COVID-19 is “one to be reckoned with.”
That is why PRO 12 personnel, to include all members of the security sector and of the task force against COVID-19, remain away from home to render selfless duty to the public, he said.
“We are on regular duty, tuloy tuloy pa rin yung ating campaign against criminality, meron tayong intensified checkpoint,” Corpus said.
He said checkpoints have been established at the borders and entry points of the region to prevent non-essential entry and further spread of the virus.
Corpus reiterated the strict implementation of “lockdown” in the region.