There is no reason for President Rodrigo Duterte to commemorate the start of the Marawi siege a year ago, his close aide said.
Special Assistant to the President Christopher “Bong” Go told reporters in a text message that Duterte has no schedule Wednesday, May 23, in relation to Marawi siege.
He said Duterte would only commemorate the liberation of Marawi in October last year from the ISIS-Maute terrorists who stormed and occupied the city for about five months.
“Sa liberation ng Marawi kami pupunta. Not sa start ng siege. Why honor (it)?,” Go said.
Duterte was in Russia for his supposed weeklong visit when ISIS-Maute terrorists began attacking Marawi on May 23 last year. The militants burned a Catholic church and stormed a hospital in the city.
While in Moscow, Duterte placed the entire Mindanao under martial law. He also immediately returned to the Philippines to personally oversee the operations against the terrorists.
Over 1,000 people perished in the five-month battle between the government troops and the Islamic militants.
Hundreds of thousands of residents in the city and nearby Lanao del Sur towns were also displaced.