Marawi City Mayor Majul Usman Gandamra on Friday said the Supreme Court’s (SC) decision upholding martial law extension would prevent possible recruitment of new members of ISIS-inspired terrorist groups in Mindanao.
During the Task Force Bangon Marawi (TFBM) press briefing in Malacañang, Gandamra said he agreed with the report of Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) that there has been zero recruitment of new members of Maute groups in Marawi.
“But in other areas, according to reports of the AFP, there are areas where possible recruitment is taking place but it is being addressed by our security forces,” Gandamra said.
Voting 10-5, the SC en banc affirmed the constitutionality of President Rodrigo R. Duterte’s second extension of martial law in Mindanao up to the end of 2018.
The southern Philippine city was severely damaged during the five-month battle between military forces and Maute terrorists last year.
During the TFBM media briefing, Philippine Information Agency Director General Harold Clavite said the new military camp to be built in Barangay Kapantaran will not only prevent re-entry of ISIS-inspired Maute terrorist groups in Marawi but protect the region from any security threats.
Duterte graced the groundbreaking ceremony of the new military camp last Jan. 30. (PNA)