Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque announced that Marawi residents would be receiving a total of 800 housing units this week with the additional 300 built by state-run gaming firm Pagcor in Matunga, Lanao del Norte.
“Nangako ang Presidente na babangon ang Marawi… nagsimula na pong bumangon ang Marawi dahil ito ang kauna-unahang shelters na ibibigay sa naging biktima ng digmaan,” he said.
The 500 transitional shelters are located in Barangay Sagonsongan, at least 3.5 kilometers away from “ground zero.” Each unit comes with its own bathroom and kitchen and has electricity and water supply.
At a media briefing, Task Force Bangon Marawi (TFBM) Chairman Eduardo Del Rosario said the government targets to finish more than 1,100 shelters in Sagonsongan by end of February 2018.
Del Rosario, who is also chairman to the Housing and Urban Development Coordinating Council (HUDCC), said that of the 500, the first 250 shelters will be occupied before New Year and the rest by January 7, 2018.
“The reason is ‘yun pong bahay kumpleto na pero ‘yung kuryente at tubig iko-connect pa sa main line. That’s why we’re delaying the occupancy,” he explained.
Marawi City Mayor Majul Gandamra said around 19,000 individuals had already been allowed to return to Marawi. (PNA)