By Billy Begas
Deputy Speaker and Cagayan de Oro Rep. Rufus Rodriguez on Wednesday said that his city has received 20,550 doses of single-shot Johnson and Johnson (J&J) vaccine.
Rodriguez thanked Health Secretary Francisco Duque III, Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana and Vaccine czar Secretary Carlito Galvez who visited the city to check the spike of COVID-19 cases in the area.
“Their visit is timely since we have Delta variant cases in Cagayan de Oro. They can advise city officials and local health authorities on what to do to stop the spread of this variant and Covid-19,” Rodriguez said.
Galvez urged the city government to vaccinate at least 5,000 residents a day so it could inoculate 70% of its 700,000 population by the end of the year.
“With this pronouncement of Sec. Galvez, we expect more and more vaccines to be allocated to CDO. And we thank Sec Galvez for this,” Rodriguez added.
Currently, more than 66,000 residents in the city have already received their first dose, while about 32,000 have been fully dosed.
Quoting the Department of Health, Rodriguez said four Delta variant-infected persons in Cagayan de Oro, who had previously recovered from the infection, have tested positive again.
Another case in Misamis Oriental also tested positive again. CDO is part of Misamis Oriental.
“Five of the eight reinfections are from our area. That shows the severity of the situation there, which has prompted the IATF to impose the strictest quarantine restriction in Cagayan de Oro,” he pointed out.
Rodriguez earlier asked President Rodrigo Duterte and the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) to extend financial aid of P6,000 to each family in CDO after the city was placed under the Enhanced Community Quarantine (ECQ).