President Rodrigo Duterte claimed that he was not the only victim of sexual abuse by Catholic priests in his Cabinet.
Duterte did not mention the victim’s name but he hinted that he was a childhood friend and one of the brightest in his Cabinet.
“Sinong kasama ko? Diyan sa Cabinet, meron diyan. Ayaw ko lang i-mention kasi nagagalit eh. Pero noon, sinasabi ko. May mga kababata kasi ako diyan na bright — the brightest actually,” said Duterte in a speech.
“Alam mo na kung sino. Who’s the brightest there? Kasali ‘yan. Hindi lang umiimik kasi nahihiya. Takot. Eh ako, walang hiya, wala man rin akong takot. Bakit ako matakot sa p***** i** mo? ‘Yan ang ano,” he added.
Duterte had previously claimed that the now deceased Fr Mark Falvey SJ had abused him and several other students in his high school batch at Ateneo de Davao.
“Huwag kayong mag-kumpiyansa. Kung anong pinaggagawa ng kamay na ‘yan. P***** i**, sabihin mo ‘Nag-hugas ka ba, father?’ [laughter] P***** i**. Kaya totoo. I know. I know because we were molested when we were young sa Ateneo,” said Duterte.
“Lahat man siguro tayo nag… Graduate ka ng Ateneo. ‘Di ba Friday there is always the confession, all of us. Lalaki pala kami lahat noon. Then we go to mass to take communion. Habang — habang nagko-confess kami, ‘Bless me father for I have sinned. Stop f****** with my p****’. Eh doon sa… Mina-masturbate ka eh. Eh papaano ‘yan? Kaya sabi ko noon, ‘yung ano,” he added.
In 2017, the Society of Jesus agreed to pay $16 million to settle claims Falvey sexually abused at least nine children in Los Angeles from 1959 to 1975.