Dahil maraming commitments sa Mindanao! Duterte may stay in Davao when ‘Ompong’ hits northern Luzon
President Rodrigo Duterte may stay in Mindanao over the weekend when Typhoon “Ompong” pummels northern Luzon.
Duterte, in an interview after presiding over a command conference at the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) office in Quezon City Thursday, could not categorically say that he would be in Manila in the next few days to monitor the effect of the typhoon.
“Maybe but I’ll see. I have some commitments there,” he said when asked if he would be staying in Manila or Davao.
He immediately added about the fall of a leader of the Surigao Front of the communist New People’s Army (NPA).
“I’m glad to report that may isang front leader na naman ng Surigao — parang ang Surigao fronts bumagsak na. They are getting weaker and weaker. Dalawang fronts inabandon na nila. So I’m also following up the progress of this surrender,” Duterte said.
The President has named his political adviser, Francis Tolentino, to be his “conduit” in monitoring the effect of Ompong.
He also ordered his Cabinet officials who came from northern part of Luzon to visit their respective places to check for themselves the need of the people.
The President said he could not go to those areas as he has many other things to do.
The state weather forecasting agency said that Ompong is expected to make landfall in northern Cagayan on Saturday morning.
When torrential rains inundated parts of Luzon, including Metro Manila, last month, netizens turned to social media and asked the President’s whereabouts.
A hashtag #NasaanAngPangulo trended on Twitter.
But Palace officials had said that while Duterte was in Davao City when the incident happened, he was closely monitoring the situation.