Bawal lumabas! Florencio Garay orders lockdown of Bislig village


BUTUAN CITY – A village in Bislig City, Surigao del Sur, was placed on lockdown for 24 hours starting at 5 a.m. Tuesday (Sept. 8) following a reported coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) related death.

Bislig City Mayor Florencio C. Garay issued Executive Order No. 46, series of 2020, on Monday ordering the movement restriction on a portion of Barangay Mangagoy.

“There is an urgent need for the local government unit of Bislig City to act promptly in providing health and safety measures in the interest of public health,” Garay said in the order.

While under lockdown, affected residents will be prohibited to leave their homes except those with medical emergency, government officials, and employees reporting to their work, peace and order personnel, firefighters, and those engaged in rescue and other emergency situations.

All commercial activities in the area will be suspended temporarily within the period as it will be cordoned to enforce no entry and no exit for individuals, according to the directive.

Health authorities will conduct disease surveillance, contact tracing, and rapid testing for Covid-19 during the duration of the 24-hour lockdown.

“Concerned barangay and purok officials must assist the members of the City Health Office (CHO) in the conduct of the surveillance, contact tracing, and rapid tests,” Garay said.

He added that police personnel will also be deployed in the area to ensure the effective implementation of the lockdown.

On the same day, Garay also issued an executive order for a five-day lockdown at the Bislig City Central Public Market in Barangay Mangagoy after a vendor tested positive for Covid-19.

The lockdown, which will take effect from Tuesday to Sunday (Sept. 13), seeks to allow health officials in the city to conduct disease surveillance, contact tracing, and rapid testing.

Data from the Department of Health in Caraga (DOH-13) said Bislig City has a total of 20 Covid-19 cases with 16 recoveries, three active cases, and one recorded death as of Sept. 7. (PNA)