The Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao marked Sunday, March 29, its first anniversary by providing assistance to the residents affected by the coronavirus disease (COVID-19).
Bangsamoro government Chief Minister Ahod “Al Haj” Murad Ebrahim said they originally planned to hold commemoration activities for the BARMM anniversary.
But due to the COVID-19 pandemic, he said, “the Bangsamoro Government will instead focus on service delivery for its people today.”
“Aming napagtanto na mas prayoridad natin ang paglaban sa sakit na ito at matugunan ang pangangailangan ng ating mga kababayan,” he said.
For this month, Ebrahim noted that the Bangsamoro government has turned over hundreds of medical supplies and equipment to COVID-19 referral hospitals such as the Cotabato Regional and Medical Center in Cotabato City, Cotabato Sanitarium Hospital in Sultan Kudarat Maguindanao, and to Amai PakPak Medical Center in Lanao del Sur.
More medical supplies are expected to arrive in the region, which will be distributed to other priority hospitals, including Maguindanao Provincial Hospital, Basilan General Hospital, Sulu Provincial Hospital, and Datu Sakilan Memorial Hospital in Tawi-Tawi, he said.
Meanwhile, to address the needs of the residents affected by the community quarantine, the Bangsamoro government has started its simultaneous relief operations all over the region.
Ebrahim said the BARMM’s Ministry of Social Services and Development (MSSD) has allocated an initial amount of P7.3 million to its provincial offices to procure relief goods for the constituents earlier this week.
The MSSD-BARMM will also lead the relief distribution in the 63 barangays in North Cotabato.
In Cotabato City, over 16,000 famillies have been targeted by the Bangsamoro Government for its massive relief operation.
Each relief pack contains 10 kilos of rice, canned tuna and sardines, corned beef, packs of noodles, and sachets of instant coffee.