Sabah seeks help from PH over kidnapping of Indonesian fishers
Malaysian authorities have sought help from their Philippine counterparts over the abduction of two Indonesian fishermen from waters off Semporna in Sabah last Sept. 11.
Eastern Sabah Security Command (Esscom) commander Datuk Hazani Ghazali said they believe the kidnappers may have already crossed international borders.
“We believe they have left Malaysian waters. We are working closely with our counterparts to get details,” Hazani said (https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2018/09/13/esscoms-seeks-help-from-manila-over-abducted-indonesians/).
So far, Hazani said they have not received any ransom calls.
Initial investigation showed armed men abducted two fishermen aboard their vessel. Two companions of the victims managed to escape and alert authorities.
For now, Hazani said more patrols would be conducted along Sabah’s east coast, especially in the Eastern Sabah Security Zone.
He also reminded boat owners to equip their vessels with the Automatic Identification System (AIS) so security forces could better monitor their movements.