Monday, October 23, 2017
politiko-politics-ph-logo

Davao City records 340 child abuse cases since Oct 2016; Bigyan ng hustisya!

At least 340 cases of child abuse, two of them fatal, were recorded in Davao City from October 2016 to September 2017, the city government said.

The Children Center of the City Social Services and Development Office said these cases were recorded since the launch of the Kean Gabriel Hotline in October 2016.

Of the reported cases, quick response team head Juenalyn Pablo said six cases were filed in court against parents and guardians – including one where the couple was charged for neglecting their five children.

Pablo said the team is teaming up with barangay officials to strengthen campaign against child abuses. “We hope that no child dies because of abuse,” she added.

Physical abuse had the highest number of reported cases compared to other form of abuses such as sexual abuse, and neglect.

The 24/7 hotline was launched on Oct. 27 last year, named after Kean Gabriel Agustin.

Agustin, 3, died after he was allegedly maltreated by his stepfather on August 24 last year. His stepfather stuffed him in a sack and placed him on top of a shelf inside their room.

Kean fell several times before he passed out. He died from severe bleeding and head injuries.

Also last year, John Earl Cagalitan, 2, died after his guardians beat him up for urinating on his bed.

In May 2017, Lea Bea Lopez Lucero, 6, was found dead on a vacant lot, raped and murdered by her uncle.

Facebook Comments
Recommended Articles

Disclaimer:
The comments posted on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of POLITICS.com.ph. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.

Trending News

Want Politiko alerts on your inbox? Subscribe here.